The Maine Spruce Budworm Task Force was formed in summer 2013 by the University of Maine’s Cooperative Forestry Research Unit (CFRU), Maine Forest Service (MFS), and Maine Forest Products Council (MFPC) to begin preparing for the next outbreak of the eastern spruce budworm.
Task Force Leaders
Robert G. Wagner
Director, Cooperative Forestry Research Unit, University of Maine
Executive Director, Maine Forest Products Council
Director, Maine Forest Service
Task Team Leaders
Given the breadth of knowledge required to conduct an initial risk assessment and preparation and response recommendations for Maine’s forestry industry, the effort was divided into 7 task teams representing key areas of expertise.
- Forest Management (John Bryant, American Forest Management)
- Wildife Habitat (Barry Burgason, Huber Resources Corp.)
- Public Communications & Outreach (Mark Doty, Weyerhaeuser)
- Research Needs (Brian Roth, University of Maine)
- Policy, Regulation, & Funding (Patrick Strauch, Maine Forest Products Council)
- Monitoring & Protection (Dave Struble, Maine Forest Service)
- Wood Supply & Economic Impacts (Robert Wagner, University of Maine)